Friday, July 22, 2016

God Leads

God has done some amazing things in my life. He has set stepping stones before me even when I didn’t understand.  I have always heard stories about missionaries in Good News and 5-Day Clubs with Child Evangelism Fellowship. When I was five, God told me He wanted me to be a missionary. I thought that meant that I would become a missionary when I grow up, but that isn’t what He had in mind. My family is moving to Cambodia as missionaries in a few weeks! 
In 5th grade my parents told me they felt led by God to go on a short term mission trip to Africa for a year. I was honestly surprised, but I was ready for God to do whatever He had planned.  I went through many hard things, like culture stress and homesickness.  I was able to learn about a new culture and talk to other missionaries. I also learned that being a missionary is harder than I expected.  Missionaries have to do some scary things and they say “good-bye” often.  God taught me that I have to be willing to give 100% of my life to Him and that He will use it, not in the way I thought, but in a way so much better.  
This summer God brought me to Christian Youth in Action (CYIA) training camp and I have been teaching 5-Day Clubs.  I have been waiting for this since I was eight, and God definitely worked in me and taught me more than I expected. At CYIA I experienced some spiritual warfare, and as I prayed with my friends we were able to feel God’s presence and love as He brought us out of Satan’s attacks. We learned that we all fight together for God’s will on earth, and in the end we will have victory. I am thankful for the things I learned during CYIA.  My teaching skills were improved, but I also learned about the power of prayer and reliance on Him for help to do hard things.
I have been thinking about everything that I learned in Africa and at CYIA and I have come to a conclusion. I realize that I truly exist for a sole purpose:  to serve God.  I don’t have to worry about anything else; He is in control.  This month my family will say “good-bye” and move to a place where my school, church, and everyday life will be very different. I will need to learn to speak the Khmer language and then I hope to teach Bible clubs.  I know I can’t possibly do it on my own, but that with God, all things are possible.  I trust that He will work through me in Cambodia just as He did in Africa and at CYIA. I am ready for whatever He has in store, and Iwill keep my eyes focused on Him.
--Megan Brand

No comments:

Post a Comment