Friday, July 15, 2016

Focus




I had the privilege of volunteering for the Decision America Tour and was keeping busy with the preparations.  Joy Scott and I called 123 churches, snail-mailed and canvassed churches and our neighborhoods, and passed out information at church regarding the tour.  I also met with a prayer group every week to pray for the tour and our nation. Yet I was feeling pretty down and discouraged, but didn’t know why.  Every time I turned on the news, or saw the result of sin in family’s and friend’s lives, I would vacillate from anger to depression. I felt like I was running on empty, because I was focusing on these things. 

Finally DAT came to Salem.  Franklin Graham gave encouraging statistics: some drove 150 miles with 7 children to attend the rally; others are now planning to vote; others are considering running for office; one woman flew 200 miles in a private airplane to be there.  “Prayer is the mystery of God’s sovereign plan” and it impacted me that all these people were coming because they believed in the power of prayer and they trusted God to use their prayers.  While attending the rally, everyone was intently listening and then Franklin Graham asked us to join hands and pray to confess our sins, and the sins of our country.  Even though I was holding the hand of a stranger, I felt an instant bonding with the body of Christ.  There was a strong presence of God’s grace, strength and peace.  And I felt forgiveness.  I had been focusing on the wrong things and my lack of faith shamed me.  Franklin Graham then gave an invitation to receive Christ as Savior and again, I heard people all around me praying to receive God’s gift.  That day, 216 people in the crowd received the gift of salvation. The presence of the Holy Spirit was so powerful, that at the end of the rally when we sang “God Bless America,” all I could do was mouth the words, because my tears were flowing so much.

Many years ago, God used 12 disciples to change the world and build His kingdom.  That day in Salem, almost 4,000 came to pray and trust that God would use their prayers.  Almost 154,000 people have come to the rallies, and it’s not over.  Our job is to persevere, trust and focus on God, continue to pray and wait expectantly to see how He’ll answer.  It’s going to be amazing.

--Janelle Coakley

 

 

Pastor's Pick:  Book Recommendations

 

The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert  by Rosaria Butterfied. 
Rosaria Butterfield was once a tenured professor of English who identified as a lesbian and worked to advance the cause of LGBT equality. After her conversion to Christ in 1999, she came to see the sinfulness of having any identity apart from Him.

Rosaria is married to Kent Butterfield, pastor of the First Reformed Presbyterian Church of Durham, and is a home-school mother, pastor's wife, author, and speaker. She is helping Christians to better understand their LGBT neighbors and loved ones so that we can lovingly share the gospel effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment