Friday, February 5, 2016

Get a Grip


When I think about our world with all the darkness in it there are times when it’s hard not to be overwhelmed. This especially hits me during graduation time as I think about our students moving on in life and I’m left wondering have we done enough? It often feels like June is right around the corner because I’m filling out all these college reference letters. So as I think about our students, some whom I’ve watched grow up these last seven years and see them heading off into the world I can freak out some. It’s in these moments I have to remind myself to get a grip. Have you ever told someone this as they worry? Get a grip! This is what I need, and it’s what our students need as well to make it in this world. I often think about what kids really need to own their faith, grow, and persevere, and Hebrews 10:23-25 comes to mind.

23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near

As much as I want to hold on tightly to them I can let them go if I know they have a grip on our unwavering God. What all kids need is a really big God they trust no matter what.  With a firm grip on the promises of the Gospel they can make it.

I also see in this passage a need to get a grip on someone, preferably some who love Jesus as well. All kids need someone else who believes what they believe. It’s my number one charge I give to students going away to college: don’t neglect going to church; we can’t make it without community. 

Also with that community we need to get a grip on the nose of those who stick it where it belongs. And what I mean is those places you often don’t think it belongs. All kids need nosy friends, mentors, and most of all, parents who know where they are spiritually. Those people that ask the real questions that mean something, like how is your relationship with Jesus right now? What are you learning from Him? What are you struggling with? We all need to get a grip on those that best encourage us and motivate us right where we are at. We need to be known.

As much as our kids need their independence they need to get a grip on those who say what parents say. All kids need another voice saying the same things a good mom and dad would say. I know as a dad I can’t do it alone, I need to know there are others out there who have my and my wife’s back. Plus, I don’t think we are ever too old for parental advice.

I am also encouraged that Jesus always has a grip on us. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. (John 10:27-28)

Finally, what gives me peace as our kids go out is if they have a firm grip on uncommon sense. To do the works and to love others the way God wants is to go against the common cultural thought. All kids need uncommon sense to make wise choices. I love that our church teaches and preaches the Word of God. With a good grip on the Bible they can face the darkness.

In His grip,
Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment