Friday, January 23, 2015

Strength in the Lord




“Mom, Dad … I want to be the one to tell you, we’re getting a divorce.”
“This is your doctor; the tests are back … it is cancer”
“Sorry, I can’t pretend any longer – the Bible just doesn’t work for me.”
“We’ve had to make some difficult choices; clean out your desk; we are letting you go.”
“Yes, I’m sure … it’s conclusive you have (this disease).”
 Receiving just one of these messages would be tough to hear at any time … but especially challenging when you are approaching retirement, looking forward to enjoying your grandkids, planning a special wedding anniversary, feeling your precious Christian family is intact.
 But God often writes the story different than we would.
 When asked recently why a friend serves as a Bible study leader, without much thought the answer quickly came: “I lead Bible study because I want to be used of God to help others grow in their faith.”  This was the truth 8 months ago when all five of the above situations were beginning to be birthed in this person’s life.  With more real life stories than they would have chosen to tell, it is still the truth … because God is in control even when life spins out of control.
 The following quote from Charles Stanley says it best:
“I wonder how many times you have said to the Lord, ‘Dear Lord, I want you to use me.  I don’t want a lot of pain in my life, but I’m willing to be used.’  Sorry, God does not work that way.” 
If you want to be used by God, get ready to hurt.  If you want to be a comforter, then get ready to suffer.  If you want to be someone who can really encourage others, then you must be a person who has walked through the valley of discouragement, surrounded by hurt, suffering and loss.
God is equipping you and me to be vessels of love, healing and restoration to a world of people filled with pain, hate and despair.
 I lead Bible study because I want to be used of God to help others grow in their faith.  Yes, I found strength in the Lord my God! I Samuel 30:6b.
- A Fellow Believer
 
Recommended Reading:
Behind the Mask by John Lynch, Bill Thrall, Bruce McNicol--For those with unresolved life issues this is a helpful book to face them, and slay them with the grace of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment