Friday, October 21, 2016

Lesson Learned

I spent this last weekend with 54 middle-schoolers at Camp Tapawingo on the middle school retreat. Unfortunately, one of my 6th grade girls got sick and by Saturday morning she was down for the count with the stomach flu. She was so bummed to have to go home and miss out on the retreat she had been looking forward to for so long!
While we were waiting together for her dad to come get her, she was laying down on the bed and telling me how bummed she was to miss out and go home. She kept asking if her mom could bring her some medicine, and thought maybe she would feel better then. In between throwing up, she asked me if I knew what the next lesson was on, and what we would be talking about. She wanted to know what we would be learning. It was almost like she was desperate to hear, like she had only gotten a taste the night prior during the lesson and she wanted more. I found her desire for God's Word so encouraging. Most kids would likely talk about missing out on playing GaGa Ball, or the night game, or hanging out with friends during free time, and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. Instead, her desire was to sit and listen to the teaching of God's Word and that completely surprised me in the best possible way. It made me wonder, am I that eager to hear God's word? To be taught from it and to learn and grow?
We have been talking a lot on Wednesdays in Fusion about 1 Timothy 4:12 “Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.” This isn't some cutesy thing we tell middle-schoolers to get them to behave, or to remind them that they have others looking up to them. This is God's Word, this is truth, and we believe it! And my sweet 6th grade student showed me that she is living this out, in such a genuine way.
It was an incredible weekend filled with lessons about the Gospel and how it impacts our salvation and beyond. In fact, 5 kids put their faith in Christ and we praise Him for moving in such a mighty way. The students weren’t the only ones learning lessons though. I learned to not write off this age group. Don't say they just need to get through this phase or in High School they will be better and more enjoyable and possibly wear deodorant. No, right now they have the ability to change the world, and right now they can impact lives for Jesus. We sincerely believe that and it's one of the biggest joys in my life to get a front row seat. If you believe it too, don't hesitate to tell them - I promise that they can't be reminded too much.

--Siriana Frost, 6th Grade Girls Small Group Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment