Friday, September 16, 2016

Wandering/Habits


I was part of the security team for the 2016 Salem First Baptist “Church in the Park”. One of the tasks of the security team is to ensure the safety and security of all those in attendance. We also have the opportunity to interact with people just “wandering by”. Quite often they ask, “What is going on?” We tell them and invite them to join us.
One opportunity I had was to talk with a lady who was walking by and she decided to stay. I continued to wander around during the service and at the end of the service I went back to the lady and ensured her that we would love for her to stay for the picnic. She said that she needed to get home to her child. She continued by saying that this was exactly what she needed. At that point she began to cry. She said that there was a lot going on in her life and she really needed this. I gave her a hug and she just held on and cried. She thanked me for the hug and I asked if there was anything I could do for her. She said that she has never been to our church but that she will come. I am praying for her and I'm praying that she will come to church. Only the Lord knows if she will or when she will. After all, the Lord brought her to the service for a reason. Please pray for her that she will follow through by coming to church. Please also pray for the many others who wandered by and had opportunity to hear the music and the preaching of God’s Word.
--Tracy Camillo




Habits are hard to make or hard to break.
They say that it takes 21 days to make a habit.  I have found that it takes a lot longer than that.  I have done many things for 21 days and then almost without notice I have stopped.  For years I memorized scripture and then it began to slip away.  I used to bike about 2000 miles a year and then my schedule got a little busier.  Habits are hard to make--stick. 
But some habits are hard to break.  For those of you who have smoked you would say a hearty amen.  Or if you have a habit of going back to the refrigerator two or three times a night it is hard to stop those behaviors.  Some habits are hard to break.
But habits are crucial because they are repetitious behaviors and over time they make a significant imprint on your life.  My prayer for you this year is that you will make connection a habit.  Stay connected to God in prayer and reading his word, stay connected to people by joining a Bible study or community group.  Stay connected with friends by scheduling regular lunch or walks together.  Stay connected, because connection gives you life. 
Praying for you,
Pastor Mark

Good Book to Read
Chase the Lion--Pastor and author Mark Batterson is a good read.  One of his first books In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, was fantastic. He has recently released Chase the Lion.  They read quick, but they last long. 
7 Men by Eric Metaxas--Brothers this book will inspire you to a greater life. 
I know they say men don't read, but they also say Jonah really didn't live in a whale for three days--#two wrongs don't make it right

No comments:

Post a Comment