Thursday, November 12, 2015

When YES Means Everything




I never imagined I’d have a child with a disability. Yet on August 2, 2002, I was blessed with my daughter Lora Grace who happened to have Down syndrome. In the beginning I was so scared; I was afraid I wasn’t equipped to handle such high demands, though I found that the demands were not that high. In the beginning I found myself so afraid for her future; I was finally able to give that to God and it really helped me to move forward. Don’t get me wrong, there are still times that I try to look towards her future, but I’m better equipped now to handle those emotions.  
I was prepared by other moms of children with special needs for the reaction that I would receive from the general population. For example, I can’t remember the last time Lora was invited to a birthday party for a friend; she just seems to have been forgotten. I’ve grieved that loss, but I knew that I needed to expect that. The one thing I never thought about nor expected was the reaction I received from the Christian Church. There was a lack of knowledge and understanding of what to do with her; to me she was just Lora. I found myself having to leave churches because they felt as though they couldn’t help us. That is a hard experience to feel like the one place you should feel accepted just doesn’t know what to do. I do not fault any of the churches; we are all human, and we all make mistakes.
As time went on, eventually Lora and I were not attending church. It was so painful for me, especially since the rest of my family was able to attend the church we belonged to. It took me awhile to reach out to First Baptist; I was so afraid of rejection once again. I still remember that day when Patrick Frost called me to give me information about Fusion. I had explained to him that Lora had Down syndrome, and his reaction brought me to tears. I can’t remember exactly the conversation, but I can tell you how I felt as I talked with Patrick about  Lora starting in Fusion. I’ve never felt more loved on and accepted. Lora has been with Fusion for a year now and is fully included just like any other child. She’s gotten to go on retreat twice now, just like everyone else. I never dreamed that she would be able to go overnight somewhere with a church group. She is loved and accepted just as she is. Until you have a child that's been excluded you can't understand the pain that one feels. I'm so glad she will never be excluded again. Lora is so happy to be with her friends. She loves it, I love it.
Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t all sunshine and rainbows for Fusion staff; Lora has her moments, but the staff is incredible, they help her and just love on her. There is not anything more I could ever hope or wish for her here. We are so blessed by Fusion and First Baptist; I can’t begin to express my gratitude sufficiently.  
 -Cory Wingett
 
You are invited to the monthly S.E.E. meetings which is for parents and others involved in loving and supporting people with disabilities.  They meet each month on the second Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM in the CLC Room 420.

No comments:

Post a Comment