Friday, June 19, 2015

DAD


 


Dad was quiet but a powerhouse.  I’ll never forget what he used to say …..“Rome wasn’t built in a day because I wasn’t on the job”.  He didn’t say much; his actions spoke louder than his words and they were always fun-loving, wise and made you stop and listen.  You never knew when he was going to offer a story, dress up or do something to make you laugh.  My sons love to be silly and will tell you they got most of their wisdom from grandpa.                            -Janice Adams
 
From my dad I learned my work ethic.         -Wayne Bernard
 
I learned from my dad what it means to work with all your heart at all you do as if for the Lord. He would go to work for 12 hours at the wood mill, get off just in time to hustle to my baseball practice, then coach my team for the next 2 hours. He didn’t do this just once, he did it day after day. All that with a great sense of humor and love for all the kids he coached. He was, and continues to be, one of the hardest working, funniest, and most loving men I know.                    -Pastor Patrick
 
I’ve learned a lot from my dad like how great John Wayne westerns are and how to hunt and fish, but the lesson that sticks with me the most is the importance of working hard and sacrifice. My dad taught me early on that if you want something it’s not just that you have to earn it but it feels good to earn it. I remember a time when things were rough and my dad took my brother and I berry picking so we could have a new set of clothes and shoes for school. He was always willing to do whatever it took to provide for us and teach us along the way.  Thanks Dad for all your hard work, faithfulness, and love for the Lord I hope to pass the same things on to my kids.                                   -Pastor Brian
 
My Dad was known by all as a man of his word.  The one word that comes to mind when I think of him is integrity.  I have never heard my father tell a lie or to go back on his word or responsibility. Dad had three passions in life: his family, his Lord Jesus Christ, and his work as a carpenter (not to mention his taste for strawberry milkshakes). He was also one of the wisest of men whom I have ever known.  He was my adviser and mentor far into my adult years.  He gave himself in service to his church when he was physically able and was well known among his neighbors as a man who could be counted on in time of need. He was an example to follow.                     -Pastor Ed
 
My father’s life was predominately lived for himself not for God.  Behind his wake was left a series of broken relationships and deeply wounded people.  So one might think he taught me nothing, but nothing could be further from the truth.  In his life my Father taught me so much.  My Father in heaven taught me that all have sinned and are in need of God’s grace.  I witnessed the reality of God’s teaching in Matthew 20:1-16 that no matter how late in the day you come to Christ, you will receive an equal reward with those who have been faithful the longest.  I learned that forgiveness takes the supernatural work of Christ, but with Christ we can do all things.  I learned that there is joy in seeing your family come to Christ.  In his last days my dad held my hand up against his cheek.  His body was giving way to death, yet his heart was being softened by God.  A man who had allowed his anger to rule him and throw people through doors was now expressing thanks.  I learned that you can teach old dogs new tricks, you can change and it all happens when a person has a direct encounter with the living Christ.   -Pastor Mark
 
My dad taught me the value of hard work and never giving up. Quitting is only hard the first time, after that it becomes the easy path of least resistance. Not only did he teach me to work hard in order to provide for my family, he also modeled the importance of working hard to value family.   - Jeff Poush


I learned so many meaningful things from my dad. He taught me how to fish the wilds of Alaska, to take a deep breath, let half out and gently squeeze the trigger on a moose or caribou in order to fill the freezer for the winter.  The best thing he taught me was something he showed me and never said; each morning he would be in his chair reading the Word of God.  Now that I see him loving Jesus and my mom well all these years later, it gives me confidence to know how to finish strong.  Thanks dad for showing me the priorities that matter.     -Pastor Nate
 
My dad was a very generous man. Willing to give anything he had and his time toward those in need.  -Pastor Leon

No comments:

Post a Comment