Thursday, May 29, 2014

Waiting Is Hard


 I recently had a conversation with a friend about the ridiculous attitude I have when I have to wait for my faucet; you know, the one in my house that I didn't have to pump or even go out to the well to draw up, just the regular faucet in the comfort of my own kitchen when it takes so long to fill up a pot of water.  Silly, right?  But I find in this world where we have access to pretty much everything in a flash that this idea of waiting seems almost unheard of.  So when my husband recently lost his job after 9 1/2 years we thought, "Certainly he will get another one in no time."  God has other plans.
                 Here we are several months later and still no new job.  Psalm 27:14 has come to mind many times:  "Wait on the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."  What does this look like in this world?  Am I a person who is really willing to wait on the Lord?  I have to admit that God has been consistently teaching me patience, from my children, to homeschooling, to trying to learn submission.  It all seems to boil down to waiting on God to work and me not trying to push things through in my time.
                 I have been challenged this past year to not just wait on the Lord but to trust Him.  I suppose that's a part of waiting, isn't it?  Trusting that God has everything in control and that He will "work all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose."  But that's just the thing, it has to be according to His purpose, not mine.  I think we sometimes miss that part.  We love the first part of that verse, but it's really the second part that drives the first.  According to HIS purpose.  Whatever that purpose may be, however inconvenient to my personal preferences, however hard, wherever it may take me.  His purpose, not mine!  So, I need to wait.
                God is good.  He is faithful.  He is the Almighty!  The Maker of the universe, the One who holds all things together!  The One who knit me together and knew the number of my days before one of them came to be!  I don’t want to miss the blessings He has planned because I failed to trust Him.  I want to say, "Yes, Lord, Your will be done and I will wait on You because I know Your way is so much better than anything I could have ever imagined! I don't want anything apart from Your perfect will!"  Because if it isn't from His hand, it isn't worth having.
                And so, I wait and I trust and I remind myself of who He is, of His promises.  I remind myself of the fact that He is forever faithful, He is perfect, He is good, He is just and He loves me with a never ending love.  He loves you like that too!  Why would we doubt or ever want to rush something that Awesome!  Lord, take my heart, my mind, my life!  They’re yours!  Your will be done!

Still waiting in Him,
Charity Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment