Thursday, December 19, 2013

Comes Unexpectedly

AD'VENT, n.  A coming; appropriately the coming of our Savior, and in the calendar, it includes four Sabbaths before Christmas.  It is intended as a season of devotion, with reference to the coming of Christ in the flesh, and His  second coming to judge the world.

The last week of advent brings with it the promise of peace.  This is not peace as the world knows it, but the perfect peace that comes to a heart that is reconciled to God.  It’s the kind of peace that the trouble in this world can never extinguish.  It is a peace that passes all human understanding.

Do you know this peace?  Do you experience rest in God?

Psalm 42:5 reminds us where this peace is found. “Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.”

“Father, I thank you for being the peace giver.  Just as you spoke peace to the waves and wind, you also speak peace to my heart.  In this world I know there is trouble but I take heart today because you have overcome the world.  I accept your light yoke on my shoulders and invite you to lead me to the quiet pastures.  Your word restores my soul and you lead me in ways of peace.  Let the peace of Christ rule my life this Christmas and guard my heart and mind with your truth.”

Remember, God is your rest giver.  Find your peace in Christ this Christmas. 

                            First Baptist website: www.fbcsalem.org
                       to respond to this email: fbc@fbcsalem.org

Add to the blog...
Send in your additions to www.fbc@fbcsalem.org

One of the best things about Christmas for me is...
  • The amazing story of how God entered this world as a baby. 
  • The gifts that Jesus brought to earth
  • The various traditions that makes me appreciate my church and immediate family.
  • The decorations and lights all over the city
  • Eggnog
  • The family that comes to visit.
  • The reading of the Christmas story.
  • Christmas programs.
  • Driving around town and looking at all the lights.
  • Christmas Eve service with the candle lighting.
  • Singing Silent Night for the 100th time.
  • Saying Merry Christmas to as many people as I can.
  • Music, lots of music.
  • Candle light service on Christmas eve.
  • REST!
For past Focus stories go to..
http://fbcsalem.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Before my children left home, my favorite holiday tradition was sitting on the couch sipping hot chocolate as I watched my family decorate the Christmas tree. This year, I was able to sit on my son and daughter-in-law's couch sipping hot chocolate as they decorated their tree. All the joy without the work. Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete